Monday, May 18, 2020

Christy's Afghan

I love this crochet afghan pattern.  It's so easy and looks beautiful in coordinating colors.  The pattern is called Feather and Fan Baby Blanket Crochet Pattern by Alexis Middleton, but of course you can make it in any size.

I'm using Caron Simply Soft in Autumn Red, Bone, and Light Country Blue.  I'm using a size H crochet hook.  I chose the size H hook instead of a smaller hook to make it more lacey.


Each end of the afghan will have stripes of Autumn Red, Bone, Light Blue, Bone, Autumn Red, and the center section of the afghan will be bone.  The ends will be approximately 18.5" (x2 = 37"), so the center will be about 25-28 inches, depending on how long I want to make it.  I may do a border all around in the bone color, which will add a little length.  (Each stripe of 4 shells is about 3.5" tall.)

Across the afghan, I need an uneven number of repeats, and I wanted to increase the size of the afghan to approximately 45" across.  So, there are 17 stitches in each repeat x 11 repeats = 187 stitches to begin.  I used the foundation single crochet stitch to begin the first row.

I really like using the foundation single crochet to begin an afghan if possible.  It makes such a nice edge to the afghan.

The pattern says to *skip one sc, dc in the next sc, repeat from * 6 times, skip one sc, 5 dc in the next 2 scs.  Make sure to have 7 DCs between the shells.  (So, the first one, plus 6 more times.)


I'm really enjoying crocheting this afghan.  I love this pattern--I used this pattern for my granddaughter's afghan in an earlier post, too.

My notes:  4 shell stripes tall = 3.5" approximately.  Each end section:  I used about 3/4 skein of Autumn red. 

No comments:

Post a Comment