Saturday, August 11, 2018

A Fisherman's Kep for My Granddaughter

I learned about the Fisherman's Kep pattern by Anne Sinclair from the knitters on Fair Isle who were selling the pattern to buy new windows for their local museum, the George Waterston Memorial Centre and Museum.  They have a Facebook group, The Fair Isle Fisherman's Kep Page, where knitters can ask questions and receive help with the pattern, and also post pictures of their finished keps.

So, I made this fisherman's kep for my granddaughter.  This will be so warm for her this winter.  This is a fun pattern to knit.
C
Fair Isle has a long history of trading their textiles, including their handknit keps, with passing ships for goods that were not produced on Fair Isle.

My notes:
I used Galway sport yarn and Cascade 220 sport in light pink. I used size 2 (2.75) needle for ribbing. 144 stitches and size 3 (3.25) mm for the body of the hat.
When turning the brim, p 1 row and then purl 1 row after turning so 2 purl rows aren’t at edge.
Next time, use a smaller needle for the outside ribbing on the brim so it holds in a little more.
I used a centered double decrease at the top so the pink thread would be on top of the stripes. So, slip 2 stitches together as if to k2tog, and then k1 stitch. Slip the 2 stitches over that stitch. Knit the stitch in pink, and each row, knit the stitch above the decrease in pink.
My decreases start with 112 stitches, decrease every other row to 16 stitches (all pink). 6 decreases.
Motifs from any of these books: A Shetland Knitter’s Notebook, A Shetland Pattern Book, or Traditional Fair Isle Knitting.

No comments:

Post a Comment