Thursday, May 11, 2017

K's Handknitted Ski Headband

K will be so warm next winter in her handknit ski headband.  I took a class at the Jefferson City Fiber Retreat in Fair Isle knitting and made this ski headband.  We used a worsted weight Shetland yarn from Shetland, and I only used 2 colors, so it's more of a Norwegian style headband.  Her headband turned out a bit big, so I fulled it a little bit, which is basically felting it just slightly.  It made the yarn so soft and fuzzy.

I can't wait to make more of these.  You can use any design, and Norwegian stars and snowflakes will work really well. 

My notes: I used size 6 needles and cast on 84 stitches and used k1,p1 rib for 5 rows.  I increased to 96 stitches and size 7 needles for the colorwork part.  Then decreased to 84 stitches again and rib again for 5 rows, casting off loosely. The Shetland wool was worsted weight.  Next time I would try size 4 needles for the rib and size 6 for the body. 5 1/2" wide by 19" long.  Pretty wide for K, so I fulled it a little to make it about 5" wide. 

No comments:

Post a Comment