Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Colonial Day at School: Teaching Kids about Weaving

I had a wonderful time teaching 2nd graders about weaving for their Colonial Day.  I brought my tape loom with a flag pattern on it for them to try, and my daughter helped them weave on it.

                                                            Flag Band on Tape Loom

They loved weaving on it.

I also brought my 4 shaft table loom and taught them about weaving.  I had two 8th grade helpers.  The kids wove a diamond twill pattern using a colorful worsted weight yarn and a black warp.
                              Teaching Kids about Weaving: 4-shaft diamond twill pattern

The kids loved using a shuttle and weaving on the table loom.
                                                          Kids Weaving on a Table Loom

After Colonial Day, I made their weaving into a wall hanging for them to hang in their classroom. They did a great job with their weaving!
                                           2nd Graders Wall Hanging, Colonial Day 2016

I did a pretty fringe detail and added beads to their wall hanging.

                                              2nd Graders Wall Hanging:  Fringe Detail

                                      Top Edge:  2nd Graders Colonial Day Wall Hanging

I gave each child a bookmark woven on my inkle loom so they could take a bit of weaving  home to remember Colonial Day and to show their parents and siblings the weaving they learned.

                                           Bookmarks for 2nd Graders:  Inkle Weaving

It was a really fun day, and the kids learned so much about weaving and other Colonial Day activities.


No comments:

Post a Comment