Monday, May 2, 2016

Whig Rose Miniature Overshot Table Runner

I took a wonderful weaving class from Jeff Reynolds at the Jefferson City Fiber Retreat.  We wove samples of the Whig Rose pattern by Josephine Estes.  Her miniature overshot patterns are available online and are called "Original Miniature Patterns for Hand Weaving."  Miniatures are good for smaller projects where you don't want large floats of thread.

This is the threading for Whig Rose by Josephine Estes:
I threaded 5 repeats of the pattern so I can weave a table runner.  We used 8/4 cotton for warp, and I used the natural color.  We could use a 10 dent reed or a 12 dent, and I only had a 12 dent, so I used that. He supplied Sugar 'n Cream for the weft pattern, and we used the 8/4 cotton for tabby.  We used Sugar 'n Cream so we could easily see the pattern as we were weaving.

This is the draw down of the pattern in Star Fashion:

Because the pattern is star fashion, you can follow a diagonal line of the pattern as you're weaving.  So, you can figure out which shafts to use next based on how the threads share a shaft. We put a pin in diagonally on the weaving alongside a diagonal line of the pattern to follow.

I had a lot of trouble getting the weft beat in well enough so the pattern would be symmetrical, which means that the circles should be as circular as possible, instead of ovals.  I used my Structo 4-shaft table loom.  You can take out extra picks as you're weaving.

When I got home, I tried other yarns to get the pattern to work well.  I realized the table loom was moving too much as I was beating since it's not on a stand which should hold it more firmly in place.  So, I changed to a size 3/2 cotton for pattern weft and a 10/2 cotton for tabby.  When I beat, I have to lean against the table loom to brace it so it won't move.  I also change sheds and beat again before throwing the shuttle.  I could hold down the table loom as I beat, but then I'd have to put down the shuttle, which would be a lot slower since you're weaving with 2 shuttles.

Here's the experiment I'm happy with--3/2 cotton weft, 10/2 cotton tabby, and 8/4 cotton warp using a size 12 dent reed, 1 per dent for my table runner.

You can also weave this pattern in rose fashion.  Here's what it would look like:


No comments:

Post a Comment