Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Kessenich Floor Loom Updating

                                              Other Updates to My Loom
Apron Strings, Tie-on strings, Brake cord
I'm going to make other updates to my loom.  I'll replace all the tie-on strings, apron strings, and the cord to the back brake.  The tie-on strings are min-braided 1/16th" diameter.  I'll leave this chain because it's kind of interesting to have the old chain and fishing swivel here since it never has to be taken off the pin.

Pulley and Lamm Cords
This old Kessenich has cords and pulleys to lift the shafts up.  When the shafts are down, the lamms should be up so they are close together--about 1/4" apart is ok.  But, the cords have stretched on this loom, so the lamms are hanging down and are crooked.  The lower knot next to the lamms can be moved up, or I can replace all the cords.  If I replace them all, I'll use Stens 1/8" starter rope for small engines, commercial or professional grade.  In the past, they used Venetian Blind cord, which isn't made well now.  Stens is made in the U.S. and is very good quality cord.
If the lamms are hanging down too far and are crooked, the shed will be narrow and not even.  It will be a job to replace them all.  I'll have to take a lot of pictures to be sure I'm putting the cord on and wrapping it the right way, or it won't work.  The steel roller has a large and small hole--the knot of the cord goes through the large hole and is caught by the small hole.  Use a candle to make sure the end won't fray as you're feeding it around, but don't let the end "mushroom" or it will be hard to feed. There will be 8 cords above and 8 cords below (4 on each side) to replace. The left and right sides are mirror images of each other.  Take lots of pics!

Furniture Paste Wax
I'm going to use furniture wax for all the wooden surfaces that I can reach. I'll use Trewax.  Bruce said to put several tablespoons in an old sock and use it to wipe it on the wood.  He said to especially wax the edges of the shafts and anywhere the wood touches wood like inside the castle.

No comments:

Post a Comment