Thursday, February 25, 2016

Johann Schleelein's 123, Re-working the Draft

I'd like to make an overshot scarf using the draft, Johann Schleelein's 123, in "A Handweaver's Pattern Book," by Marguerite Porter Davison.   I'm re-drafting this pattern to have a complete design at the top, bottom, and sides of my scarf using Fiberworks Software for weavers.  I'll also add some borders.  It's really fun to work on drafts with the software and so much easier than by hand. 

Marguerite Porter Davison's draft shows a repeat of this draft for weaving.  This portion of the draft won't have a complete "pattern" at the edges, though, if you weave it as is.  So, if I weave this draft, the "petals" on each side will be half petals instead of complete petals.  The top and bottom petals will also be half petals, which won't be very pretty.  So, you can see from my pictures how it will be changed.

Here's the original draft in "A Handweaver's Pattern Book" by Marguerite Porter Davison.  Do you see how the "petals" on the sides aren't complete?  That half petal would be at the edge of the scarf (or table runner, dish towel, etc.)  Click on picture to enlarge it.
 Now, here's the draft showing 2 repeats of the pattern, and I have added in my threading to complete the "petals" on each side of the design.  This will be so much prettier to weave.  Do you see the difference here?

Now, let's work on the top and bottom petals and add a repeat to show how it will look when woven.  I'll add my treadling pattern to complete the "petals" on the top and bottom of the scarf.  That way we won't be starting with a half petal at each end of the scarf.  See how the petals are complete at the top and bottom now?




Now, if we want to, we can add some top and bottom borders and side borders.  You can play around with different threadings and treadlings to see what you like.  Here's the borders that I've decided to add.  I can't get the entire draft in the picture, but the borders show on most of it.
Using weaving software can really enhance your weaving projects and it's fun to experiment to see what you can weave.

No comments:

Post a Comment