Saturday, December 14, 2019

Reindeer Christmas Stocking

I really enjoyed knitting this Reindeer Christmas stocking.

It turned out pretty huge, but I used worsted weight Paton's yarn instead of the DK yarn recommended in the pattern.

The pattern, Nisse Christmas Stocking 2016,  is by Arne & Carlos, Norwegian designers.  I changed the reindeer in the pattern, though. The designers had 5 reindeer around the top part of the stocking, but when the stocking is hanging, half a reindeer shows on the front side of the stocking.  I didn't like having 2 and a half reindeer when the stocking is displayed, so I chose a different reindeer graph for my stocking.

The designers had the beginning of the rounds at the beginning of the heel, and I changed it to the center back of the heel.  This hides the "jog" of the colorwork along the edge of the stocking where it's not seen when hanging up. 

I changed the heel to a German short row heel because I wanted to try out that heel style.  I'm happy with it.  I also made the toe a little more rounded than the pattern by removing the knit rounds at the end of the decreases of the toe when I got down to 24 stitches. 

My notes:  German Twisted Cast on and US size 3 needles for ribbing.  I changed to size US 5 needles for the stocking.  Paton's wool yarn.  Loop:  Pick up and knit 4 stitches and knit ICord for about 2.5".  Sew to inside of stocking and reinforce it well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment