Monday, September 4, 2017

Guild Program: Stitch Markers!

Stitch markers are fun and easy to make.  We'll be working on stitch markers for our Sept. program at our fiberarts guild.  We'll make beaded stitch markers and add small charms, and we'll also make some stitch markers with letter beads.

                                                          My Stitch Markers

If you make stitch markers, you'll need chain nose pliers, round nose pliers, and flush wire cutters to cut the wire or head pins.  I also have a pliers to open split rings, which makes it so easy to open them.  When I use jewelry wire for stitch markers, I use size 20 gauge wire from Michael's.  If I use head pins, I use 3" head pins because the longer length makes it easier to make a wire-wrapped loop.

I bought the crystal and silver beads and charms at Michael's for the beaded stitch markers.   I used 20 gauge wire and made a small loop at one end of the wire and attached the charm using the jump ring.  I made a wire-wrapped loop at the top and added a split ring.  You can use various size split rings depending on the size of your knitting needles, but I used size 9 mm split rings. 
                                                 Crystal Beads and Charms Stitch Markers

You can use wire or head pins to make the letter stitch markers.  I used a size 6 seed bead before and after the letters to add some color, and it also makes sure the letters won't slip off a head pin. 

                                                              Letter Stitch Markers

Stitch markers can sometimes get accidentally knitted into your project.  To keep this from happening, always have the stitch marker facing the side you are knitting.  Then they will be much less likely to get caught into your stitch.  This will be a fun guild program!



No comments:

Post a Comment