Saturday, July 1, 2017

Flower Garden CAL (Crochet Along)

The Knitting Network website recently hosted a CAL for a really pretty crochet afghan.  The pattern is called Flower Garden CAL.  The pattern was released in 4 parts: 3 different crochet blocks, and part 4 is assembly and borders.

The afghan squares are a beautiful Flower Square in the center surrounded by Circle in a Square blocks, which are then surrounded by Sunburst Granny Squares.

I love the flower blocks, and I haven't seen another crochet flower exactly like it.  
                                                                         Flower Squares

Part 2 is the Circle in a Square Block.
I'm using a variety of yarn colors from Michael's new yarn brand called Colorwheel.  It comes in lots of colors in small balls of 90 yards (1.75 oz.) each.  It's acrylic worsted weight.

Part 3 is the Sunburst Granny square, which I'm working on now.  This square has puff stitches and cluster stitches, which make it really pretty.
I think it will be a really colorful pretty afghan for my granddaughter when it's finished.

My notes:
For the white, I’m using the larger balls of Michael’s Loops and Threads yarn in cream color.
The colors I’m using are these: mid pink, bright gold, deep purple, pool blue, lavender, purple, turquoise, fuchsia, and mid green.
I think I will make 6 flower blocks, 14 circle in squares blocks, and 22 sunburst squares to make the afghan longer. So, it will be about 45.5 x 51 inches instead of 42 inches wide and long. My squares are 5.5” long and wide. Flower squares will be 2 per row with 3 rows in the center of the afghan.
   Block 3 (Sunburst Granny) 4th round: Slip stitch in any chain space. Chain 3 (1 hdc) and 1 hdc in that space (2 hdc)
   Next space: 3 DC, chain 3, 3 DC in this space for corner. Next space 2 hdc. 1 sc in top of next cluster, 1 sc in next chain space, 1 sc in top of next cluster. 2 hdc in next chain space.
  Then next will be the corner again, and repeat around. It ends with the sc in the top of the next cluster and slip stitch into the 2nd chain of the first hdc.
This is more symmetrical than the original pattern directions.

No comments:

Post a Comment