Saturday, July 2, 2016

Little Hearts and Horses Christmas Stocking

I really enjoy knitting Christmas stockings.  I just finished this Christmas stocking, which is from an old pattern kit called Letty's Scandinavian Christmas Stocking, Little Hearts and Horses.

                                               Christmas Stocking, Little Hearts and Horses

I had purchased several Christmas stocking kits years ago, and I found I didn't have enough green yarn in the original DK weight in the kit.  The original yarn was called Darby DK.  So, I substituted worsted weight yarns from a local store, and the stocking is larger than my other knitted stockings.  I used Patons Wool in blue, white, and red, and gold, and Galway Wool in green. 

I made these stockings years ago using the original Darby DK yarn.  The Snowman pattern is also a Letty's Scandinavian Christmas Stocking pattern. 

                                         Letty's Scandinavian Christmas Stocking pattern

My notes:
Size 5 needle for ribbing, size 6 needle for stocking. Paton’s Classic Wool in gold, red, white, and blue, and Plymouth Galway in green. One ball of each.

Stranded knitting: Background color in right hand, pattern color in left hand. Center name and hearts in 9 rows. Name on both sides.  One row above and below name, 2 rows above and below hearts.
This stocking turned out quite a bit bigger than the stockings I made using DK weight yarn.

I Cord stocking hanger--I cast on 4 stitches on a size 5 double pointed needle, leaving a tail, and knitted I Cord for several inches. I tacked the I Cord stocking loop onto the edge of the stocking, reinforcing it well. I might add a small button on the inside to help add some reinforcement at the top edge.

No comments:

Post a Comment