Monday, August 17, 2015

Boundweave Class

Boundweave Class:  I was fortunate to take a class from Tom Knisely at the Jefferson Fiber Retreat this past March on weaving boundweave.  Boundweave is a very dense weave and is often used for rugs.  We made a sample using up to 4 colors of yarn in various patterns.  Here's a small sample:





I'm using my Structo table loom, which has a date of 1947 on the reed.  It's a very sturdy old table loom and is working well.  It's a pretty heavy duty table loom with big metal gears.  My cousin found the Structo, and I cleaned it up, used Howard's Feed and Wax on the wood, and bought new reeds and heddles for it.  It works very well.

After making the sample, I had extra warp left, so I'm working on a Boundweave Pattern on Opposites with two colors.  It is a Rosepath pattern.  The blue yarn is waste yarn, which will be removed.  It's a fun pattern to weave.  I don't know if it will be a table runner, or a doll rug for my granddaughters to play on with their dolls. 

 The yarn is Paton's wool yarn.  Weaving on opposites means that if color A is woven by lifting shafts 3 and 4, color B is woven by lifting the opposite shafts, 1 and 2.

Block A: Color A 3+4, Color B 1+2  4 times
Block B: Color A 4+1, Color B 2+3  4 times
Block C: Color A 1+2, Color B 3+4   4 times
Block D: Color A 2+3, Color B 4+1   4 times
Rosepath:  A, B, C, D, A, D, C, B, A
Color A=red, Color B=Gray



No comments:

Post a Comment